Do you hear MRP and immediately equate it with ERP? Are you confused about what MRP can do for your company? When acronyms get thrown around, it is important to realize what they mean and how the solutions they provide improve your success as a batch process manufacturer. When you’re trying to meet customer demands and reconcile that need with company resources, MRP is your answer as it serves as the backbone of your ERP. As an industry leader in MRP solutions, we can help clear through the clutter and show you the advantages that MRP paired with ERP can bring to your business to strike the right balance between supply and demand.
What is MRP software?
Material Requirements Planning (MRP) in the simplest terms is a system that controls production, inventory and scheduling to plan the use of your company’s resources. For manufacturing companies, it assists with calculations that answer the following questions: What materials are needed? What quantities are needed? and When is it needed? These answers can help your business more effectively handle the manufacturing process, successfully increasing efficiency and positively impacting your bottom line.
Why do I need MRP?
If you’re a batch process manufacturer struggling with managing your inventory, the following benefits illustrate that an industry-specific ERP with integrated MRP functionality may be just what you are looking for:
- Inventory guidelines keep optimal inventory levels to reduce waste, yet still meet demand
- A Master Production Schedule (MPS) plans production and staffing for seamless work flow – includes routing details, schedules, capacity information, management of purchase and sales orders, delivery deadlines, etc.
- Work in Progress (WIP) visibility quickly resolves production issues such as manufacturing line slowdowns and stoppages
- Lot tracking and tracing identifies contaminated or expired materials and products, flagging items for disposal or recall
- Real-time data provides transparency to stakeholders throughout the organization to complete their jobs more effectively (i.e. pricing, staff scheduling, customer service, etc.)
- Decision-making tools forecast probable demand for a product or service based on ordering patterns and current trend analysis
A word of advice…
The phrase “garbage in, garbage out” rings true for MRP and ERP users as the potential benefits of the software relies heavily on accurately entered information. It is important to remember that data gleaned from an MRP solution is only as good as what goes into it. Businesses must maintain accurate Bills of Material (BOMs), part numbers and inventory records in order to truly understand their inventory needs and the recommendations for purchasing and production that MRP provides.
ProcessPro understands how important the tasks mentioned here are for successful manufacturing, which is why MRP functionality is the backbone of ProcessPro’s ERP solution. ProcessPro’s recognition as one of the Top 20 Most Popular MRP’s supports your choice of an industry leader with over 30 years of experience. Contact us today to see how our industry-specific, robust ERP solution for the batch manufacturing industries sets us apart from the competition.